Saturday, 19 August 2017

A Bus Stop Story


Life becomes a series of routine activities once you are in the corporate setting. You realize this meager thing when you start working. Your eye-popping college life is only a reminiscence, the time when you were young and zippy. My job life was quite within the blameless box of 9 to 5. Although living this dreary life did not delight me very much. Furthermore, my friend was leaving town in short order. There was a great deal changing around me yet I was going to be doing just the same old job. It gave a bitter feeling of being left behind. It was a little too much to handle. I felt high and dry all the time.
Meanwhile like any other day, I was traveling to work when my colleagues planned for a movie considering it was a Friday. I readily agreed, I unquestionably needed the change. Something to take mind off of my thoughts. The plan was altered later, changing it to sheer eat-out plan at the nearby mall. Even if that was not the original plan I was much obliged that I'd have a break from the routine. I was very glad for the distraction it was already giving me. All of us walked down to the parking, we had decided to take the auto rickshaw to the mall with forethought. I had no clue that one of the colleagues had a car that he used to commute to the office. All of us jam-packed ourselves in the car, listening to pop music and laughing away. We explored the food court, what better therapy than food, right? While everyone was good-humored and upbeat, even supposing I was happy my brain was pondering over the doleful thoughts. They joked, laughed and added each other as friends and followers on various social media platforms. Well, all of us had a good time, I won't call it great. It was a nice rendezvous.
We finished munched on our food and ended the meal with some chocolate doughnuts. We are the generation of social media validated happenings, so we were essentially required to click some cool pictures before it was time for us to leave. So the guy with the car offered to drop a friend of mine and me. I thought and decided against it forasmuch as it would be better if I could get on a bus from the mall. So, my friend dropped me off at the bus stop and left. No sooner was she gone than I felt horribly alone. I was standing unaccompanied at the bus stop with a few perfect strangers. No familiar faces to comfort me while I was on feet there. It was 9 PM, and I was sweating bullets, I knew because I was checking the watch intermittently.
The orange street lamps always looked unnerving. these lights have always made me feel out of sorts. I can't bring to mind any incident that could be the reason for this feeling. But somehow I do feel sad and obscure when I am alone under one of these lamps. Oh and desolate evenings, make me feel worse.
While I was getting restless with every passing minute, it had started drizzling by that time. I just wanted to reach home without harm. Strangely the route I took regularly looked quite spooky at this hour. I saw one bus arriving and I got on the bus. I didn't know the route very well but I got on it anyway. As soon as I got on the bus, I asked for the ticket and the conductor said the bus took a very long route to my place. He suggested that I get off at the next stop and take another route. I willingly got out of that bus, while it had crossed a considerable distance. I started walking back to the previous bus stop, I didn't notice the distance that the bus covered until now. The bus stop didn't actualize for a long time, and on my way back I kept looking for the ongoing buses in hopes to not miss my bus till I got to the stop. I passed a few broken down shops, some shady slums, and some intimidating people. They looked at me, and their gaze made me walk faster. After what felt like ages I finally arrived at the bus stop. Many people must have gotten on their buses, as there were fewer people on the bus stop now. I was waiting there impatiently. This night was turning into a nightmare, to my horrendous realization. I was still engrossed in my thoughts when a lady roughly in her late twenties interrupted me. She wanted to know if she missed the bus to Vashi. I told her I was here for a quite a long time, and I hadn't seen that bus pass. She looked quite relieved by that. She said, "Where do you have to go? Do you stay somewhere nearby?" to this I looked up from my phone and said,"No I don't stay here, I work here". She then asked,"Do you usually travel so late?" and I said,"No, I usually take the company bus and leave by 6. Today we friends ate out so...". Then her bus arrived and I pointed that out to her, she thanked me and got on the bus. Leaving me alone again. I was a little lifted after the small talk. I was feeling a lot better, I was glad she spoke to me, although I didn't know it back then, I really needed it. Just after her bus left, my bus came right after. I knew the route of this bus, I had traveled by it a countless number of times before. I got on the bus and realized I did not have the change for my ticket, but that was the least of my worries. Yet the fact that the conductor might just embarrass me in front of so many people on the bus worried me. I gave the hundred rupee note to the conductor, and I was taken aback when the conductor took it and produced my ticket and gave the change back. He didn't argue with me for change. This rarely ever happens in Mumbai. I was mildly astounded at this but at the same time, I was genuinely thankful to that kind-hearted man. After a while, I sat there listening to music and lost in my thoughts. I was feeling safe again, at peace. My thoughts started moving aimlessly again to that friend who was leaving town soon. I may have to feel lonesome for quite a long time now. The drizzle turned to heavy rains and I thanked my stars for the comfortable seat in the bus while it was pouring outside.
My buoyant heart rested on the water of all emotions it had conceived. The difference now was, the water didn't feel cold anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer

Hurrying through the door, walked into my life, Late though he was, just perfect was the time. I could be mad no more, and damn th...