Thursday, 11 May 2017

That afternoon


I was on the veranda sipping my coffee with an old radio playing nice songs. It was a lovely afternoon, here in Mumbai. How often do we get a peaceful lone time? That year somewhere between May and June it had started raining. It was drizzling that day, an excuse to skip work for some quality time for myself. As I sipped all that was left in my cup, a familiar song played on the radio. I have heard this song a lot of times. It used to be my favorite song when I was in younger. My then best friend and I would sing it whenever we were too distracted to focus on the boring chapters in school. I must admit I wasn't a bright student, average as they I say it.
This song, I started humming along as it played on the radio. And out of nowhere, my heart was full of emotions which I barely knew to exist. I saw myself in a dark crowded place with colorful lights, loud music, some popular​ songs playing, people around me dancing as I stood at the entrance talking to my best friend. I didn't take very long to recognize this place. It was the rain-dance disco at this popular water park. I must have been in grade 7, when I went there, annual picnic. I and my best friend were discussing something and suddenly this song played in the disco. My best friend and I exchanged excited looks, screamed our lungs out and ran to the dance floor. We danced to that one like maniacs and continued to do so, a little longer even after the song was no longer playing. We got bored of the other songs and soon left the floor. That was indeed a memorable day, my childhood sweetheart had given me a ring which didn't fit me very well. He had taken me into the deeper part of the wave pool and proposed me there. I had been so happy about it all. Thought about him all the way home that day. As I vaguely remember it, I thought of him when I saw the stars and the moon following our bus.
It's funny how a song can trigger those untouched portions of our long-lost memories. Sweet. Life isn't so simple now. It's not bad but it's not simple and easy. It becomes difficult to keep up with the pace at which life moves. People are often left behind and forgotten. Do we ever truly forget someone? You may not remember a face or a name for a long time but you never really forget someone entirely, do you? Having such moments fill me up and make me nostalgic. The take to places I haven't been to in a while. Just as I was caught up with these thoughts and emotions, there was a gentle tap on my shoulder. I looked at him and smiled, requested for a refill. I turned the radio off stared into nothingness for quite some time. I gathered myself up and walked into the kitchen. While he was still brewing my requested coffee, I hugged the man and told him “I have a funny thing to tell you. Did I ever mention the proposal of my sweetheart from school?”.  

3 comments:

  1. ❤️ m waiting for rain now. Won't remember the proposal 😂. I didn't propose anyone. But the moment with rain you expressed in such a way that I can't wait any longer for rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your valuable comment. Glad you liked it. :)

      Delete

Summer

Hurrying through the door, walked into my life, Late though he was, just perfect was the time. I could be mad no more, and damn th...